2007 Doctor of Philosophy in Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs
2001 Master of Science in Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton
1993 Bachelor of Science in Physical Education and Sport Science, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
I am a professor in the Department of Kinesiology. My teaching focuses on exercise physiology, nutrition, research methods, and health and wellness for kinesiology majors. My research, often with undergraduates, involves the effects of physical activity and diet interventions on cardiovascular and metabolic health, caffeine metabolism, and the methods used in rehabilitation in physical therapy settings. I am also interested in community health and wellness, especially in underserved populations. Prior to coming to Sonoma State in 2010, I taught at Cal State Fullerton and Cal Poly Pomona. I love being physically active, I competed in soccer throughout my youth and in tennis and badminton as an adult. Currently I enjoy yard work, cycling, working out, walking with my dog Tarçın (Mr. Cinnamon) and playing competitive pool.
- Bülent Sökmen, Ryann DeSousa, German Reyes, Jose Limas, Nicholas Nygaard, Yazmin Moreno, Jireh Pejana, Campbell Emily. (2020) The Effect of Concentric Prime Movers vs. Synergist Muscle Contraction on Coactivation Ratios. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Annual Meeting at San Francisco, CA. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Vol. 52 No. 5 Supplement S5492.
- David Boffey, Bülent Sökmen, Wanda Boda, Steven Winter, and Kurt Sollanek. (2019) The Effects of Submaximal Load on Peak Power Output and Fatigue During the Bench Throw. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 33(2): 355-359
- Bülent Sökmen, Ronald L. Witchey, Gene M. Adams, William C. Beam. (2017). The Effects of Sprint Interval Training with Active Recovery vs. Endurance Training on Aerobic and Anaerobic Power, Muscular Strength, and Sprint Ability. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Kurt J Sollanek, Scott W Talpey and Bülent Sökmen. (2017) The Effects of Acute Bilateral and Unilateral Set Protocols on Muscle Power and Rate of Force Development. Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Journal. 2(1): 1012.
- Bülent Sökmen, Chris Dowdle, Ellen Carlton, Rebecca Bryan, and Kurt Sollanek. (2016) The Effects of Traditional, Contrast and Pre-Exhaustive Training Methods on Performance Variables. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Annual Meeting at Boston, MA. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Volume 48:5 Supplement.
- Maresh Carl M., Sökmen Bülent, Armstrong Lawrence E., Dias Joao C., Pryor J. Luke, Creighton Brent C., Muñoz Colleen X., Apicella Jenna M., Casa Douglas J., Lee Elaine C., Anderson Jeffery M., Kraemer William J. (2014) Repetitive Box Lifting Performance is Impaired in a Hot Environment: Implications for Altered Work-Rest Cycles. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 11: 460-468.
- Bülent Sökmen, Wesley Martin, Daniel Grubb, Sabrina Hrabe. (2014) Effects of Caffeine Intake on Metabolism, Muscular Strength, and Cycling Performance During Intermittent Cycling. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Annual Meeting at Orlando, FL. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. S572 Vol. 46: 5 Supplement.
- Michael T.C. Liang, Lorena Quezada, W.Y. Jamie Lau, Bülent Sökmen, and Thomas W. Spalding. (2012) Effect of Short-term Upper-body Resistance Training on Muscular Strength, Bone Metabolic Markers, and BMD in Premenopausal Women. Dove Medical Press: Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine. (3)201-208.
- B. Sökmen, L.E. Armstrong, W.J. Kraemer, D.J. Casa, J.C. Dias, D.A. Judelson, and C.M. Maresh. (2008) Caffeine use in sports: Considerations for the athlete. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 22(3): 978-86.
- Carl M. Maresh, Bülent Sökmen, William J. Kraemer, Jay R. Hoffman, Greig Watson, Daniel A. Judelson, Catherine L. Gabaree-Boulant, Michael R. Deschenes, Jaci L. VanHeest, and Lawrence E. Armstrong. (2006). Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal responses to arm versus leg exercise in untrained men. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 97(4):471-477.
- J. Volek, M. Sharman, A. Gomez, D. Judelson, M. Rubin, G. Watson, B. Sökmen, R. Silvestre, D. French, W. Kraemer. (2004) Comparison of energy-restricted very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on weight loss and body composition in overweight men and women. Nutrition & Metabolism. 1(1):13